Pregnancy is a remarkable time during which women experience changes in their physical appearance and general body function. While obvious signs of this change include a growing abdomen and weight gain, your skin is also influenced.
You may have an acne breakout you never encountered previously, the skin may increase in pigmentation or you could go from a dry to an oily complexion. We look at common skin problems during pregnancy, causes, symptoms, and treatments to help you best manage your complexion and maintain a natural glow.
Skin Changes During Pregnancy
Pregnant women experience a physical transformation as the baby continues to grow and expand over a period of 9 months. Your skin also stretches to accommodate such growth increasing stretch mark formation, including dark spots, varicose veins, and hyperpigmentation.
Not only can it affect the condition of facial areas but also the skin on your body. Even the clearest skin could suffer acne and inflammation.
While you may be unimpressed at women who brag about their pregnancy glow, you are not alone. Most women will go through some form of skin issue once pregnant.
We look at skin problems during pregnancy, the causes, symptoms, and treatments you can benefit from.
1. Stretch Marks
The most common skin problems during pregnancy are rapid weight gain. Causing stretch marks to form across the abdomen, the buttocks, thighs, and breasts. It forms red to purple squiggles and raised areas, fading into a white appearance over time.
Stretch marks red to light pink in color are most responsive to creams containing Shea butter and collagen. Applying these products daily may relieve itching and sensitivity but also fade these marks.
Stretch marks will fade with the regular use of supportive oils and lotions but most turn white and remain permanent. Minimize the formation of stretch marks by massaging the skin and keeping it moisturized through pregnancy.
Stretch Marks & Scars Defense Cream Daily Moisturizer w Organic Cocoa Butter + Shea + Plant Oils + Vitamins to Prevent, Reduce and Fade Away Old or New Scars Best for Pregnancy, Men/Bodybuilders (4oz)
- REDUCE & PREVENT STRETCH MARKS: This luxurious body butter helps lighten and fade existing stretch marks, while improving skin’s elasticity to help prevent new ones; the perfect body lotion for pregnancy!
- ANTI-AGING SKIN CARE: Packed with vitamins and powerful nutrients to nourish dry skin and stimulate collagen production, the moisturizer deeply penetrates to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- VITAMIN RICH CREAM: Wholesome and natural Organic Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter and pure plant oils help hydrate, firm and tighten loose skin, making it an ideal post-partum stomach cream
- PACKED WITH LOVE: Our Leaping Bunny Certified cruelty free skincare is made in the USA using natural and organic plant based ingredients including Plant Stem Cells, Seaweed Extract and Green Tea Extract
- 90 DAY HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We want you to Get Happy About Your Skin! If you don't love our body cream, we'll refund your purchase, no questions asked (no need to return the jar)
Related: TIPS FOR BETTER SKIN AFTER MENOPAUSE
The least expected skin problems during pregnancy are acne. Whether you have managed the occasional spot or not been too concerned about pimples, hormonal changes can bring a full breakout. No need to worry though, with the many treatments available, you can soon have those bothersome spots under control. Most pregnant women prefer not to rely on prescription medication.
Treating acne requires a closer look at your skin type. If your forehead, cheeks, and chin have become increasingly oily, incorporate washes, toners, and moisturizers that are non-comedogenic. This means it will not clog the pores. For drier skin, cleanse with a deeply hydrating cream and moisturize with serums.
Maintaining a skincare regime morning and evening assists in preventing and diminishing breakouts. With added stress and hormonal changes, the odd breakout can occur. Keeping your skin clean and incorporating a well-balanced diet with sufficient hydration can help reduce the severity of future spots.
Aloe Vera Gel from Organic Cold Pressed Aloe for Face, Body, and Hair, 8 fl. oz.
- Moisturizing for skin, hair, and cuticles; Great for after sun skin care
- Use as after shave, hair gel, or leave in conditioner; also great for pets
- Thin gel absorbs quickly with no sticky residue, leaving skin silky and smooth. *Color ranges from clear to amber due to natural variation. This is normal and not an indication that it’s expired or ineffective.
- Premium quality ingredients; No parabens, dyes or fragrances, Vegan and Cruelty-Free
- Manufacturer's Guarantee: 100% money back guarantee, no questions asked, and no returns necessary
Never try to squeeze or pick at a pimple, it will become inflamed and possibly infected. Ask your physician if mild creams containing salicylic acid can be applied to a spot. Salicylic acid is acne combating ingredient serving to decrease redness and swelling.
3. Varicose Veins
Commonly referred to as spider veins, these blue to purple veins result are caused by poor blood flow. Hormone influences and greater volumes of blood pumping through the body at rapid rates can cause these blue veins to appear.
Owing to a large amount of pressure experienced during pregnancy, swelling, and raised veins that are uncomfortable to the touch often appear. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to protect against the development of spider veins.
Rest is important, especially in the later stages of pregnancy but remaining flat for too long increases the risk of varicose veins. Stretching frequently can assist in maintaining adequate blood flow and pressure to minimize vein problems. Elevate your legs by placing on a pillow when lying down and incorporate mild exercises to stay fit. If painful veins have formed and not improving, consult with your physician.
Related: 11 BEAUTY MUST-HAVES FOR BLACK GIRLS
SKIN PROBLEMS DURING PREGNANCY
STRETCH MARKS PREGNANCY, CAUSES, AND TREATMENTS
TOP 10 BEST CREAMS FOR OLD STRETCH MARKS
Fine rashes and itching on your skin during pregnancy could be a sign of Prurigo. It is caused by the accumulation of bile in the blood leaving you to itch and scratch across your palms and feet.
To prevent and address the issues of Prurigo, add healthy oils to your daily diet. Flaxseed and Omegas are great sources of beneficial fats. Drink plenty of water and if you are feeling flustered and stressed, engage in preferred methods of relaxation.
For severe cases, consult with your physician who can prescribe the relevant topical ointments.
Related: GLOWY FACE AFTER WEIGHT LOSS
For any pregnant mom, wearing an SPF is crucial to protecting your skin. If you suffer from skin sensitivity or dermatitis, there is an increased risk of sun damage and pigment changes. Melasma can occur in any woman during pregnancy and is characterized by the darkening of the skin.
Avoid melasma by remaining out of the sun and wearing a protective cream with an SPF.
6. Skin Tags
Skin tags are most annoying and some can prove unsightly but these tags are usually harmless. Many women will have skin tags from under the breasts, between the thighs and along the neck and chin. A combination of hormones and the rubbing of the skin with weight gain will cause skin tag formation.
Areas of your body that tend to chafe should remain moisturized. If you suspect a skin tag is developing, apply oil and try alternative remedies including fresh citrus juice.
If your skin tags are problematic or aesthetically, it is not too pleasing, visit your local dermatologist. With a minor procedure, these tags are easily removed and the irritation eliminated.
HaloDerm Skin Tag Remover & Mole Remover - All Natural Skin Tag Cream - Remove up to 3 Skin Tags (FAST Results In As Little As 3-5 Days) - Industry Leading Safe & Effective Formula
- #1 SKIN TAG REMOVER & SKIN GROWTH REMOVER – Unlike most other treatment methods, HaloDerm TARGETS THE ROOT of your skin tag or skin growth and removes it for good.
- FAST & EFFECTIVE HOMEOPATHIC FORMULA – This cost-effective method provides incredibly fast results. We know skin tags & skin growths can be annoying, bothersome & even embarrassing at times. We created this formula with the goal of helping people feel & look their best! In most cases, skin tags and skin growths will fall off naturally within 7 - 10 days.
- ACID FREE FORMULA – Our SAFE & EFFECTIVE formula is gentle enough for all skin types and can be used on the face and body.
- SAFE ALTERNATIVE TO PAINFUL DEVICES – No need to use laser devices or pay expensive surgical fees.
Related: Related: 10 BEST ANTI-AGING CREAMS ON THE MARKET
Skin Problems During Pregnancy Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
Pregnancy can cause many skin changes and some of these may not be pleasant. Bouts of acne are managed with skincare remedies while varicose veins may require a visit to the physician if painful. Maintain hydration, relaxation, and a good cleansing regime and you can be well on your way to achieving that much-desired, pregnancy glow.