Your Period can bring about a lot of change from dealing with those dreaded bloody days to mood swings and cramps. Just when you thought there is nothing more than you have to deal with during your period, you suffer a sudden acne outbreak! The effect of the menstrual cycle and hormones on the skin can be significant. From dry to oily skin or a dull complexion, it is best to plan those selfies long before that time of the month.
List of products for menstrual circle on skin
Although unpleasant and difficult to handle, your period is part of your bodily cycle and the best you can do is to prepare for these changes. While some women may not notice too much alteration in their complexion for the rest of us, oil, pimples, blackheads, and irritation become a reality. The changes in the skin are largely attributed to hormones. Fortunately, there are ways of dealing with your menstrual cycle, hormones, and the influence it has on the condition of your skin.
Murad Clarifying Toner, Step 1 Cleanse/Tone, 6 fl oz (180 ml) Cleansing Facial Treatment
- OIL FIGHTING FORMULA: Instantly removing oil and impurities, this Clarifying Toner balances facial skin, clearing and minimizing the appearance of large or clogged pores
- COOLS & SOOTHES: The refreshing face treatment contains cooling Cucumber Extract which helps soothe sensitive blemish-prone skin for a perfectly balanced complexion
- DAILY TONER: The gentle facial toner is suitable for use on Normal, Oily and Combination skin types and on blemishes, blackheads and breakouts as part of your daily skincare routine
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS: Witch Hazel absorbs oil, Algae Extract reduces shine and Grape Seed Extract and Vitamin E help neutralize free radicals; formulated without Sulfates, Phthalates or Gluten
- HOW TO USE: Use Clarifying Toner after Clarifying Cleanser, then add acne or breakout treatment and moisturizer over face, neck and chest; follow with Murad sunscreen during the day
Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle and Hormones on the Skin
Dermatologists have stated the skin is affected by the different hormones released throughout the cycle. Hormones like estrogen and progesterone are primarily responsible for skin difficulties during the menstrual cycle. Understanding these hormones as part of the entire reproductive cycle will assist in managing your skin condition.
The initial part of your period is influenced by large volumes of estrogen as it is preparing the body for fertility. Progesterone’s role is to prepare the uterus should fertilization take place. The different hormones at work will have different effects on your skin. This is why you may only notice changes during a particular part of your cycle which may include the first or the second half. You can prepare to manage the condition of your complexion upon the arrival of your period.
Effect of Menstrual Cycle and Hormones on the Ski
Obagi Nu-Derm Toner, 6.7 Fl Oz Pack of 1
- Brighter, Healthier Skin: Our toner for face is formulated to adjust the pH level of your skin, remove impurities & dead skin cells, & prepare the skin for hydration. It is an essential component of any day and night skin care routine as it helps transform your skin by brightening and rejuvenating.
- Alcohol-Free Toner: Unlike other face toners in the market, Obagi’s Nu Derm Toner has a non-drying formula & is completely alcohol free to avoid drying out your skin. This product can be used for many skin types including dry, normal, & oily skin.
- Reduce Signs of Anti-aging: For a brighter more youthful appearance, use Obagi’s Complete Nu Derm System. The Nu Derm system includes Obagi’s Nu Derm Toner, but it also has 6 other skincare products that when applied together as a routine can help you reduce the signs of anti-aging & enhance your complexion overall.
- Made With Aloe Vera & Witch Hazel: This facial toner for women contains two key ingredients for soothing & removing excess oil from your skin. Aloe Vera for Soothing & Witch Hazel for oil removal, along with several other clincally formulated ingredients.
- Medical Skincare Brand: Obagi Medical is a global medical skincare brand that's focused on creating skincare products that help unleash the full potential of the skin. Our skincare products are formulated to deal with a wide range of skin care issues including acne, aging, hyperpigmentation and much more.
1. The Start of Your Period
The first sign of your menstrual cycle includes the normal bleeding and cramps associated with your period. This stage of the cycle your body is under the influence of progesterone and any minor spots or oiliness may slowly start to decrease. During this time, keep moisturizing your skin during this time even if it appears oily.
A mattifying moisturizer can prevent excess oil from causing high shine and pore clogs responsible for acne. It is a combination of progesterone and testosterone that is responsible for the development of acne.
SwissGetal No Oil Matt Cream - Mattifying Moisturizer for Oily, Acne Prone Skin that is Oil Free to Balance, Control Shine
- FOR A SMOOTH, SHINE-FREE APPEARANCE - Balancing and matting the skin, No Oil Matt Cream by SwissGetal prevents the formation of and absorbs excess oil for a shine-free look throughout the day. Perfect for blemish-prone and mature skin, the oil control moisturizer is lightweight and nongreasy, creating a smoother, matte base for applying makeup.
- VISIBLY SMOOTH AND SOFTEN SKIN: Formulated to refine large pores, the nourishing facial moisturizer visibly tightens the pores for a smoother appearance while deeply hydrating the skin for added softness.
- WORKS ON ALL SKIN TYPES – This facial cream effectively moisturizes oily skin as well as normal and combination skin types. Ideal for acne-prone skin, the oil-free face moisturizer is suitable for both men and women.
- DERMATÓLOGIST RECOMMENDED - Adhering to the world-famous stringent standards of Swiss cosmetics regulations, this mattifying moisturizer is the preferred choice by providers because of its pore-refining, antiseptic properties.
- CUTTING EDGE PLANT CELL EXTRACTION - Always keeping up with the leading in anti-aging research, our unique SwissGetal extraction processes enrich this oil-free moisturizing cream’s active ingredients with pure plant cells to prevent excess oil formation while hydrating the skin.
2. The End of Your Period
The end of your period may be a relief, but your body will soon begin to increase in estrogen as the fertility cycle continues. The oiliness will decrease with the appearance of estrogen. This is where it is important to understand the effect of the menstrual cycle and hormones on the skin.
3. Nearing Your Period
When the time is getting closer to those dreaded blood runs, your progesterone levels will begin to peak. This hormone is responsible for the production of oil and causes the pores to become clogged with dirt and sebum. It is the excessive sebum that causes fine pimples and slight inflammation.
The best approach to managing a full-blown acne breakout is to invest in a good skincare regime and a healthy diet. While hormones will continue to have an influence on your complexion, taking the right steps can minimize the severity of spots and inflammation. The effect of the menstrual cycle and hormones on the skin will depend on where you are in the cycle but sticking to a good cleansing, toning, and moisturizing schedule can make the biggest difference.
EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser, Gentle Face Wash for Acne, Oil-free, Sensitivity-free, Dermatologist-Recommended Enzyme & Amino Acid Face Wash & Makeup Remover, 7 oz
- EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser is a gentle foaming face wash for oily skin that can be used morning or night to loosen makeup, oil, and other impurities from the skin for a clean, smooth look and feel
- This EltaMD exfoliating face wash uses a gentle enzyme and amino acid blend to reduce inflammation and remove harmful skin pollutants to help freshen your skin
- Foaming face cleanser infuses more oxygen into the surface of your skin with micro-massaging bubbles for a cleaner and more balanced skin feel
- This thick foam face wash is safe for all skin types and applies gently on sensitive skin and acne prone skin
- Moisturize your skin without blocking pores or irritating sensitive skin with this oil free, sensitivity free, and paraben free sensitive skin face wash
When you notice your period approaching, cut out the highly processed and fatty foods. These can wreak havoc on your complexion when your hormones are taking over your body and skin. Fast foods, sugars, and saturated fats must be consumed in minimal amounts or removed from the diet.
Drink plenty of water, tea, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Providing your body with the minerals, vitamins and general nutrition required will ensure that it is equipped to manage these stressful changes. These will help manage the effect of the menstrual cycle and hormones on the skin.
4. A Healthy Skincare Regime
Your skincare routine should consider oil combating products including cleansers that remove the dirt and bacteria responsible for the formation of spots. Clean your skin day and night and always remove all makeup that may cause further irritation.
What Not to Use
- Avoid very harsh products including toners that contain alcohol. Alcohol-based products are astringents and strip the skin that could leave it dry and prone to additional irritation.
- Do not use soaps that would be too harsh and stripping causing more oil production and more pimples.
- Do not fail to incorporate a moisturizer despite having oily skin. The balance of the skin needs to be maintained during this time and cannot be effectively managed if it does not remain well hydrated.
Purchase a cleanser that is specifically formulated for oily or combination skin. This includes labels such as oil-free and non-comedogenic. It will remove the surface dirt and debris without causing additional oil to form and clog the pores. The effect of the menstrual cycle and hormones on the skin is managed externally with the appropriate skincare products.
La Prairie Age Management Balancer, 8.4-Ounce Box
- Age Management
If your pores are large, applying a mild toner helps reduce its size and the occurrence of acne. You do not want your pores to enlarge and the risk of becoming clogged. Pores can also appear enlarged as an effect of the menstrual cycle and hormones on the skin.
Once you have cleansed and toned, use the appropriate moisturizing cream. A day moisturizer should contain an SPF to protect against the harsh UV light.
You can use a mattifying moisturizer when your skin is most oily during the cycle. When you are nearing the end of your menstrual cycle, a regular hydrating cream is best applied to maintain balance.
OBAGI-C RX EXFOLIATING DAY LOTION 2.0 OZ Pack of 1
- Reduces the visible signs of aging as it promotes a radiant and rejuvenated complexion.
- C- exfoliating day lotion is part of a complete skin care regimen by Obagi. The system fights dark spots for a lighter and brighter complexion. This lotion is a smooth and light weight moisturizer. It hydrates and gently exfoliates.
- Apply to face and neck, massage in gently. Follow with C-SunGuard SPF 30.
The Management of Hormones During the Menstrual Cycle on Your Skin
When your skin changes upon the changes of your menstrual cycle, a tailored skincare regime is recommended. It prevents problems such as acne and inflammation. These problems cause great irritation and prevent you from going out and feeling good because of unruly spots and oil!
When your period arrives, be sure you are aware of the effect of menstrual circle and hormones on the skin, eat well, stay hydrated and change up your skincare regime as best as you can and you may just prevent those dreaded spots and skin problems from taking over!
- Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle and Hormones on the Skin
- Effect of Menstrual Cycle and Hormones on the Ski
- 1. The Start of Your Period
- 2. The End of Your Period
- 3. Nearing Your Period
- 4. A Healthy Skincare Regime
- What Not to Use
- 5. Cleansing
- 6. Toning
- 7. Moisturizer
- The Management of Hormones During the Menstrual Cycle on Your Skin