Summer is the time for days at the beach, shorts, and tees and having fun with friends. It is also a time when our skin becomes oilier than usual and increases the risk of spots, irritation, and inflammation. A greasy complexion can be a problem to manage.
You may start off fresh-faced first thing in the morning only to deal with high shine across your forehead, cheeks, and chin by the afternoon. With our simple summer skin care routine for oily skin, you can manage a problematic complexion and control the shine for a sun-kissed, grease-free result!
Here is the list of all the recommended summer skin care routine for oily skin
1. Use a Mattifying Cleanser
Cleansers are an essential part of our skincare regime, but the wrong choice of product could wreak havoc on your skin’s balance. If you tend to suffer from oily skin in the summer, it is important to change your cleanser to one that is mattifying. Most clay-based and oil-free cleansers are suitable for a greasy complexion. It helps remove impurities and excess oil without clogging the pores. Be sure to take a closer look at your cleanser and use products formulated specifically for oily complexions.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser for Oily Skin, 13.52 Fl Oz
- This gentle facial wash for oily skin with zinc pidolate effectively cleanses away dirt and oil while respecting skin's pH balance. Cleanses and purifies skin without over drying
- Cleanses and purifies skin without over drying. Tested on acne-prone skin (non comedogenicity test) and won't clog pores. Respects skin's pH balance and safe for sensitive skin
- Dermatologist Tested for Safety, Sensitive Skin Tested, Paraben Free, Allergy Tested, Non-comedogenic, Soap Free
- Formulated with Zinc Pidolate: Known for its purifying properties to help remove excess oil
- Cleanse morning and/or evening. Wet face with lukewarm water and apply small amount of gel, massaging the skin gently to form a rich lather. Rinse thoroughly with water
Cleanse morning and evening. Always remove all makeup and avoid the use of harsh soaps or fragranced products that would strip the skin’s natural oil balance.
2. Invest in an Oil-Free and Water Based Moisturizer
Do not sacrifice your daily moisturizer if you are affected by oily skin. If you fail to apply hydration, your skin will over-compensate for the loss of moisture. The result is an even greasier complexion. Your summer skin care routine for oily skin should consist of a compatible moisturizer.
Look out for creams with mattifying and pore refining properties if you suffer from regular breakouts. Water-based moisturizers are lightweight and include mattifying properties to protect your skin from becoming overly oily. It also ensures that you continue to hydrate your complexion but without the added grease and ingredients that may clog your pores.
If you also have sensitive skin, look out for moisturizers free from fragrances. Oil-free, mattifying, and non-comedogenic are terms to look out for when selecting your moisturizer.
Paula's Choice RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum, Squalane, Vitamin C & E, Anti-Aging & Wrinkle Treatment, 1 Ounce
- PURE RETINOL DELIVERS VISIBLE RESULTS--With stable retinol and soothing antioxidants this unique serum addresses the appearance of wrinkles improves the feel of firmness uneven skin tone and red marks and leaves your face looking perfectly radiant.
- Paula's Choice--RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Serum contains brightening Vitamin C alongside stabilized retinol to improve the appearance of wrinkles. This silky-smooth serum is infused with antioxidants & skin-replenishing & -hydrating ingredients.
- Use Paula's Choice RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum twice daily as part of your morning & evening skin care routines along with your favorite Paula's Choice cleanser, toner, serums, spot treatments & moisturizer with SPF for daytime wear.
- Paula's Choice products are made with YOUR SKIN in mind. Whatever your skincare concern, whether dryness, acne, fine lines, or sensitive skin; we've got a treatment line for you. The search for amazing skin care ends here. Finally, you found it.
- Paula's Choice Skincare makes products that work. No fragrance, no parabens, no fluff. Just effective, science-backed formulas that target any concern from wrinkles to breakouts.
Moisturize with a day cream in the morning. Many modern moisturizers contain an SPF. Do not fail to incorporate an SPF into your daycare skincare routine especially during the summer months. Use an oil-control night cream on your face and neck.
3. Include a Sunscreen
Keep your skin protected from the sun’s harsh UV rays during the hottest month of the year. If your moisturizer does not contain an SPF, an additional layer of sunscreen should be applied to your moisturizer. Ensure your sunscreen product is oil-free. We recommend an SPF of at least 20 to incorporate as part of your summer skincare routine for oily skin.
EltaMD UV Daily Face Sunscreen Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid, Broad Spectrum SPF 40, Non greasy, Sheer Lotion, Mineral-Based Sun Protection, 1.7 oz
- EltaMD UV Daily Face Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and Hyaluronic Acid protects your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays while infusing it with essential moisture for a more youthful appearance
- This SPF 40 non greasy sunscreen face moisturizer glides over skin effortlessly, won't leave a white cast after applying, and can be worn alone or under makeup
- Hydrate and protect your skin with this daily moisturizing sunscreen with Hyaluronic Acid for a smoother, supple feel that increases skin softness and decreases wrinkles
- EltaMD UV Daily Facial Sunscreen is a TSA-approved sunscreen travel size lotion, making it the perfect travel companion when you need a daily face moisturizer sunscreen for quick trips
- This face sunscreen is fragrance-free, paraben-free and noncomedogenic
4. When You Should Use a Toner
A toner is the most common application used after cleansing the skin. The purpose is to reduce pore size and remove any impurities from the skin. Toners can help control excess sebum production however, many toners contain alcohol which is an astringent. This means that it strips your skin of all oils including its natural, protective moisture barrier. The result is more oil and the risk of breakouts. Learn about pore-refining toners that do not contain alcohol or harsh ingredients.
TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner | Remove Oil & Dirt | Natural Astringent to Balance Skin’s pH Level | Rose Water, Clary Sage Water, Tea Tree Water & Witch Hazel | Men, Women, Teens | 4 fl oz
$18.95 in stock
- Gentle Hydrating Face Toner: Our hydrating face toner absorbs quickly and helps moisturize your skin to keep it feeling soft and smooth. Our acne-formulated toner helps reduce fine lines, acne, and oil without stripping or drying out your skin.
- Pore-Refining And Zit-Clearing: Cleanse your skin with our face toner for women and men that also acts as a soothing acne mist. It has aloe vera and witch hazel toner for face that lessens blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and all types of acne.
- Nature-Powered Ingredients: Our facial skin toner is an excellent addition to any skincare routine. Our tea tree toner is infused rose water and clary sage. Use our acne prone toner morning and night to soothe acne and tone the skin.
- For All Skin Types: This astringent for face is gentle, and ideal for oily or acne-prone skin. Our toner for acne prone skin will balance the pH of your skin without overdrying it, so it works well for dry, sensitive, and combination skin types too.
- How to Use: Simply spray our soothing face toner onto a cotton ball or directly apply it to your face. Do not rinse. Use it as needed throughout your day and follow up with our Acne Treatment Face Cream Moisturizer with Salicylic Acid and Aloe Vera.
5. Exfoliation is a Must
For combination, sensitive and oily skin, exfoliation should always remain part of your skin maintenance regime. For oily skin, excess sebum means more impurities. It also means a stricter cleaning regime. Unfortunately, basic cleansers cannot remove the dead skin and dirt from your dermis, which is the outermost layer of your skin. An exfoliator contains minor scrubbing ingredients helping not only to get rid of dirt (missed by your cleanser) but also helps refine large pores, commonly associated with oily skin.
KP Elements Keratosis Pilaris Body Scrub & Exfoliating Skin Cream Set, 12 fl oz. total - All-Natural, Soothing, Healing Ingredients
- IDEAL KP COMBINATION: Enjoy healthier skin with daily use of KP Elements Body Scrub and Exfoliating Skin Cream. They're also body moisturizers for dry skin that help you reduce red bumps like those from keratosis pilaris
- SMOOTH SKIN: Our keratosis pilaris treatment uses gentle scrubbing beads to wash away excess keratin. Enjoy smoother skin as it encourages cell turnover and the growth of healthy new cells
- EFFECTIVE EXFOLIANTS: Fade excess keratin on your skin with natural glycolic acid. Both exfoliating body scrub and body cream are enriched with it and work together to target those red bumps (strawberry skin)
- NATURAL OILS AND EXTRACTS: Our body skin care products use natural skin nutrients including Avocado Oil, Rosehip Oil, Horsetail Extract, Chamomile, Aloe Leaf, Green Tea, and more
- YOUR DAILY SKINCARE REGIMEN: Lather the exfoliating scrub on the affected areas during your daily shower. After drying, massage the skin cream into affected areas until fully absorbed. Extremely effective when used together on a consistent basis
Exfoliators can be used 2 to 3 times per week to create a shine-free and smooth complexion.
6. Detox and Mattifying Masks
A face mask is always a great way to treat your skin! For oil-control, a mattifying mask can help detoxify the skin. Ensure the mask is non-comedogenic, which means it will not clog the pores. Masks only need to be applied 3 times per week to deliver on their promises.
ANNIE'S WAY Face Mask Charcoal Black Jelly Brightening Deep Cleaning Relaxing Vitamin-C Anti Oil Peel Off (250ml)
- TAIWAN EXCELLENT JELLY MASK BRAND - Annie’s Way is No.1 jelly mask brand with revolutionary acne-removing approach.
- UNIQUE FEATURE - Effectively controls oil and deep cleaning and whitening the skin. Keeps skin white and refined.Gently draw out oil, dirt and toxins that clog pores. Cosmo Beauty Grand Prix 2015 - Best Oil Controls & Anti-Acne Mask.
- SUITABLE SKIN TYPE - Moisture loss, oily complexion. Extremely oily skin. Shine-prone skin where makeupeasily comes off.
- SPECIAL FORMULA - Cleansing, Nourishing and Skin Toning in just 20 minutes - Gently melts away dirt and acne. Easily removes blackheads without the help of peel-off mask.
- PRODUCT QUALITY GUARANTEE - 100% Developed and Manufactured in Taiwan. Highly recommended by media, bloggers, and celebrities. Monthly sales over 100,000 bottles. Scored an 80% FG consumer satisfaction.
7. Apply a Makeup Primer
Oil can prevent your makeup from setting or remaining on your skin. Primers with mattifying qualities will not clog your pores while preventing excess oil production through the course of the day. This is particularly helpful if you are on your feet and your makeup tends to smudge or disappear before day’s end. There are many different types of makeup primers available. Be sure to choose one specifically formulated for use with oily skin.
Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector 0.4oz (12ml)
- Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector 0.4oz
8. Consider a BB Cream
The problem with applying cosmetics to oily skin is that the oil eventually causes the product to run or smudge. Rather than pile on loads of products, a BB cream offers the best of both worlds. It can moisturize, mattify, and offer mild coverage for imperfections. If you only need a lightweight form of cover, then BB creams are ideal.
purlisse BB Tinted Moisturizer Cream SPF 30 - BB Cream for All Skin Types - Smooths Skin Texture, Evens Skin Tone - 1.4 Ounce (MEDIUM)
- POWERFUL-ANTIOXIDANTS: This carefully formulated Purlisse Glow BB Cream SPF 30 formula moisturizes and protects with powerful antioxidants. This tinted face sunscreen also evens skin tone and hides imperfections for naturally radiant skin.
- MORE RADIANT APPEARANCE: Glow BB Cream SPF 30 helps to remove the look of impurities. Restores skin to a more radiant appearance. Also protects from environmental stressors.
- DEWY FINISH AND HYDRATING: Purlisse Perfect BB Cream helps you achieve a flawless, gorgeous matte meets dewy finish while key ingredients provide skincare benefits that improve skin texture and tone. Lightweight, easy-to-apply formula, Perfect BB fresh hydrating beauty Balm smoothes and blurs.
- SAFE AND GENTLE: This SPF 30 protection with self-adjusting mineral-tint color for smooth, radiant, even skin, whatever your skin type. Complements most skin tones. Chemical-free and nanoparticle-free. Sun protection joins the facial routine for a rejuvenated complexion.
9. Keep Oil Control Blot Paper on Hand
Blotting paper is an oil-absorbing sheet that instantly removes high shine or grease from your complexion. If you are going out with friends, spending time outdoor in the warmer temperatures then blotting paper is a must. It is small and discreet enough to pop into your handbag and use it while you are on the go. It also helps prevent the removal of your makeup while controlling the excess sebum.
Oil Control Film, Same Series with Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets for Oily Skin Care, Blotting Paper to Remove Excess & Shine, 60 Sheets (Pack of 5)
$21.99 in stock
- High-PerformanceInstantly absorb excess oil and remove grease from face, leaves your skin feeling refreshed, clean and shine-free
- Oil Control FilmEach sheet is silky, softer than paper. No tearing, no soaking to contaminate your finger by oil shine
- Makeup FriendlyThis oil blotting sheets for face does not smudge makeup and not absorb facial moisture, keep makeup fresh without over-drying skin
- Handy DesignPortable oil blotting sheets measure 2.1 by 3.2 inches(9% Larger than other film) which is perfect for your purse or pocket, can be used anytime, anywhere; A special dispensing sticker allows you to access one sheet at a time.
- Great Value60 sheets x 5 packs, total 300 sheets great absorbent oil control film
Keep Oil Under Control This Summer!
Your summer skin care routine for oily skin should include hydration, cleansing, and exfoliating with mattifying and oil-free products. Use a primer and always set your makeup before you leave home. Do not spend long hours exposed directly to the sunlight and always apply sunscreen even if you are not going to be directly outdoors. With the right approach, you can be confident about your skin this summer!