Summer is the time for days at the beach, shorts, and tees and having fun with friends. It is also a time when our skin becomes oilier than usual and increases the risk of spots, irritation, and inflammation. A greasy complexion can be a problem to manage.
You may start off fresh-faced first thing in the morning only to deal with high shine across your forehead, cheeks, and chin by the afternoon. With our simple summer skin care routine for oily skin, you can manage a problematic complexion and control the shine for a sun-kissed, grease-free result!
Here is the list of all the recommended summer skin care routine for oily skin
1. Use a Mattifying Cleanser
Cleansers are an essential part of our skincare regime, but the wrong choice of product could wreak havoc on your skin’s balance. If you tend to suffer from oily skin in the summer, it is important to change your cleanser to one that is mattifying. Most clay-based and oil-free cleansers are suitable for a greasy complexion. It helps remove impurities and excess oil without clogging the pores. Be sure to take a closer look at your cleanser and use products formulated specifically for oily complexions.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser for Oily Skin, 13.52 Fl Oz
- All skin types
- Skin Friendly ingredients
- 100 percent genuine item
- Ingredients- Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-8, Coco-Betaine, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Zinc PCA, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Parfum/Fragrance. Key Ingredient(s): Alpha Hydroxy Acids
Cleanse morning and evening. Always remove all makeup and avoid the use of harsh soaps or fragranced products that would strip the skin’s natural oil balance.
2. Invest in an Oil-Free and Water Based Moisturizer
Do not sacrifice your daily moisturizer if you are affected by oily skin. If you fail to apply hydration, your skin will over-compensate for the loss of moisture. The result is an even greasier complexion. Your summer skin care routine for oily skin should consist of a compatible moisturizer.
Look out for creams with mattifying and pore refining properties if you suffer from regular breakouts. Water-based moisturizers are lightweight and include mattifying properties to protect your skin from becoming overly oily. It also ensures that you continue to hydrate your complexion but without the added grease and ingredients that may clog your pores.
If you also have sensitive skin, look out for moisturizers free from fragrances. Oil-free, mattifying, and non-comedogenic are terms to look out for when selecting your moisturizer.
Paula's Choice RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum, Squalane, Vitamin C & E, Anti-Aging & Wrinkle Treatment, 1 Ounce
- PURE RETINOL DELIVERS VISIBLE RESULTS--With stable retinol and soothing antioxidants this unique serum addresses the appearance of wrinkles improves the feel of firmness uneven skin tone and red marks and leaves your face looking perfectly radiant.
- Paula's Choice--RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Serum contains brightening Vitamin C alongside stabilized retinol to improve the appearance of wrinkles. This silky-smooth serum is infused with antioxidants & skin-replenishing & -hydrating ingredients.
- Use Paula's Choice RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum twice daily as part of your morning & evening skin care routines along with your favorite Paula's Choice cleanser, toner, serums, spot treatments & moisturizer with SPF for daytime wear.
- Paula's Choice products are made with YOUR SKIN in mind. Whatever your skincare concern, whether dryness, acne, fine lines, or sensitive skin; we've got a treatment line for you. The search for amazing skin care ends here. Finally, you found it.
- Paula's Choice Skincare makes products that work. No fragrance, no parabens, no fluff. Just effective, science-backed formulas that target any concern from wrinkles to breakouts.
Moisturize with a day cream in the morning. Many modern moisturizers contain an SPF. Do not fail to incorporate an SPF into your daycare skincare routine especially during the summer months. Use an oil-control night cream on your face and neck.
3. Include a Sunscreen
Keep your skin protected from the sun’s harsh UV rays during the hottest month of the year. If your moisturizer does not contain an SPF, an additional layer of sunscreen should be applied to your moisturizer. Ensure your sunscreen product is oil-free. We recommend an SPF of at least 20 to incorporate as part of your summer skincare routine for oily skin.
EltaMD UV Daily Face Sunscreen Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid, Broad Spectrum SPF 40, Non greasy, Sheer Lotion, Mineral-Based Sun Protection, 1.7 oz
- UV Daily is a moisturizing face sunscreen that protects against the harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun.
- Formulated with 9.0% transparent zinc oxide
- Antioxidant protection combats skin-aging free radicals associated with ultraviolet (UV) and infrared radiation (IR).
- UV Daily contains a mineral-based formula and hyaluronic acid to boost moisture retention and diminish fine lines.
- Glides on easily and absorbs quickly into the skin
4. When You Should Use a Toner
A toner is the most common application used after cleansing the skin. The purpose is to reduce pore size and remove any impurities from the skin. Toners can help control excess sebum production however, many toners contain alcohol which is an astringent. This means that it strips your skin of all oils including its natural, protective moisture barrier. The result is more oil and the risk of breakouts. Learn about pore-refining toners that do not contain alcohol or harsh ingredients.
TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner | Remove Oil & Dirt | Natural Astringent to Balance Skin’s pH Level | Rose Water, Clary Sage Water, Tea Tree Water & Witch Hazel | Men, Women, Teens | 4 fl oz
$16.34 in stock
- BALANCES AND TONES YOUR SKIN: Unlike any other skin toner, our Clary Sage and Rosewater facial toner helps strike the right balance of oil and pH level that your skin needs to stay at its healthiest; it's the ideal face toner for women and men
- GREAT FOR OILY, ACNE-PRONE SKIN: This Witch Hazel toner for sensitive skin is a potent yet gentle astringent for face and neck that cleanses and moisturizes your skin just right; our Witch Hazel spray also leaves no oily shine or a dry after-feel
- INTENSIVELY YET GENTLY CLEANSES: Use our Rose Water toner whenever your skin feels dull, dry, or nasty; it instantly refreshes your skin and helps reduce blemishes by providing a clarifying action to remove traces of dirt, oil, and other impurities
- COMPLETES YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE: The purifying power of our Tea Tree and Rose Water spray for face ensures that your skin is free from grime after cleansing; our Rose Water toner for face keeps the skin clean, hydrated, and ready for moisturizing
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Spray the rose toner onto a cotton ball or directly apply to your face; do not rinse; use our Rosewater toner as needed throughout your day; for best results, follow up with TreeActiv Acne Eliminating Face Cream
5. Exfoliation is a Must
For combination, sensitive and oily skin, exfoliation should always remain part of your skin maintenance regime. For oily skin, excess sebum means more impurities. It also means a stricter cleaning regime. Unfortunately, basic cleansers cannot remove the dead skin and dirt from your dermis, which is the outermost layer of your skin. An exfoliator contains minor scrubbing ingredients helping not only to get rid of dirt (missed by your cleanser) but also helps refine large pores, commonly associated with oily skin.
KP Elements Keratosis Pilaris Body Scrub & Exfoliating Skin Cream Set, 12 fl oz. total - All-Natural, Soothing, Healing Ingredients
- ALL NATURAL TREATMENT Combo Pack for Treating Red Bumps on the Arms and Thighs also known as Chicken Skin
- ESSENTIAL OILS & VITAMINS - Naturally exfoliate and moisturize to heal your skin and remove excess keratin
- DERMATOLOGIST TESTED AND APPROVED - Made in the USA, Have confidence in the product you are buying!
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE KP TREATMENT system on the market, now available in a convenient bundle!
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED! If this product does not reduce your KP after 30 days of use, we will refund your money
Exfoliators can be used 2 to 3 times per week to create a shine-free and smooth complexion.
6. Detox and Mattifying Masks
A face mask is always a great way to treat your skin! For oil-control, a mattifying mask can help detoxify the skin. Ensure the mask is non-comedogenic, which means it will not clog the pores. Masks only need to be applied 3 times per week to deliver on their promises.
ANNIE'S WAY Face Mask Charcoal Black Jelly Brightening Deep Cleaning Relaxing Vitamin-C Anti Oil Peel Off (250ml)
- TAIWAN EXCELLENT JELLY MASK BRAND - Annie’s Way is No.1 jelly mask brand with revolutionary acne-removing approach.
- UNIQUE FEATURE - Effectively controls oil and deep cleaning and whitening the skin. Keeps skin white and refined.Gently draw out oil, dirt and toxins that clog pores. Cosmo Beauty Grand Prix 2015 - Best Oil Controls & Anti-Acne Mask.
- SUITABLE SKIN TYPE - Moisture loss, oily complexion. Extremely oily skin. Shine-prone skin where makeupeasily comes off.
- SPECIAL FORMULA - Cleansing, Nourishing and Skin Toning in just 20 minutes - Gently melts away dirt and acne. Easily removes blackheads without the help of peel-off mask.
- PRODUCT QUALITY GUARANTEE - 100% Developed and Manufactured in Taiwan. Highly recommended by media, bloggers, and celebrities. Monthly sales over 100,000 bottles. Scored an 80% FG consumer satisfaction.
7. Apply a Makeup Primer
Oil can prevent your makeup from setting or remaining on your skin. Primers with mattifying qualities will not clog your pores while preventing excess oil production through the course of the day. This is particularly helpful if you are on your feet and your makeup tends to smudge or disappear before day’s end. There are many different types of makeup primers available. Be sure to choose one specifically formulated for use with oily skin.
Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector 0.4oz (12ml)
8. Consider a BB Cream
The problem with applying cosmetics to oily skin is that the oil eventually causes the product to run or smudge. Rather than pile on loads of products, a BB cream offers the best of both worlds. It can moisturize, mattify, and offer mild coverage for imperfections. If you only need a lightweight form of cover, then BB creams are ideal.
purlisse BB Tinted Moisturizer Cream SPF 30 - BB Cream for All Skin Types - Smooths Skin Texture, Evens Skin Tone - 1.4 Ounce (MEDIUM)
- BB CREAM FOUNDATION: Offering natural-looking coverage with a flawless finish, our top-rated tinted moisturizer BB (Beauty Balm) cream can be used alone to even skin tone, cover blemishes or under a foundation for long-lasting coverage.
- SPF30 SUNSCREEN: We have formulated our BB cream with the benefit of SPF30 broad spectrum sunblock that's good for daily use.
- ALL SKIN TYPES: The ideal everyday BB cream for sensitive skin, use this gentle tinted moisturizer for dry skin, as well as normal, combination, oily, acne-prone or mature skin. It’s hypoallergenic and amazing for rosacea.
- NATURAL, VEGAN AND CRUELTY-FREE: Containing antioxidants like soothing chamomile and artemisia to prevent aging, our tinted face moisturizer also features sugar maple to restore a gorgeous glow. Our BB cream cosmetic formula is paraben-free.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Use our BB Cream for up to 30 days, risk-free. Send us a message if you are not completely satisfied.
9. Keep Oil Control Blot Paper on Hand
Blotting paper is an oil-absorbing sheet that instantly removes high shine or grease from your complexion. If you are going out with friends, spending time outdoor in the warmer temperatures then blotting paper is a must. It is small and discreet enough to pop into your handbag and use it while you are on the go. It also helps prevent the removal of your makeup while controlling the excess sebum.
Oil Control Film, Same Series with Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets for Oily Skin Care, Blotting Paper to Remove Excess & Shine, 60 Sheets (Pack of 5)
- Instantly absorb excess oil and remove grease from face
- Each sheet is silky, facial oil control film paper.
- Does not smudge makeup
- Sheets measure 2.3 by 3.3 inches; for external use only
- 60 sheets x 5 packs; total 300 sheets
Keep Oil Under Control This Summer!
Your summer skin care routine for oily skin should include hydration, cleansing, and exfoliating with mattifying and oil-free products. Use a primer and always set your makeup before you leave home. Do not spend long hours exposed directly to the sunlight and always apply sunscreen even if you are not going to be directly outdoors. With the right approach, you can be confident about your skin this summer!