We all want to take care of our face and make it shine at all times. After all, it’s the first step to making a good impression everywhere you go. This is why we going to be discussing the introduction to the skin care guide.
Here is the list of selected best facial cleansers for your skin care guide:
What does skin care regimen mean?
A skin care regimen means your plan to a skin care routine or therapy. What you do with your skin on a daily basis repeatedly is your skin care regimen or skin care routine. Like washing your face twice a day, applying skin care products, applying special acne treatment, this is your skin care regimen.
The best part of taking care of your face is that it is very easy to do and requires less effort. However, it is very important to make sure that you are using the right products on your face. As such, first, you know the type of skin you have.
Once you know your skin type, you can then select those products that were specifically made for it, which means you get to keep that flawless face.
How do I start a skin care routine?
If you are looking for how to start a skin care routine, below is a skin care guide you should follow. But before we go on, there are few things you should know. Applying the products in the right order is the best way to start a skin care routine even if you have a nine-step or three-step skin care routine.
Here is the perfect step by step guide to start a skin care routine:
- You should wash your face morning and night with water and cleanser.
- You should apply a toner after the cleansing before applying anything else.
- You should apply a serum with antioxidants in the morning ideally with vitamin C.
- You should apply eye cream to your under-eye area, and a regular moisturizer. You should layer the eye cream underneath the moisturizer.
- Apply a spot treatment at night using an acne spot treatment, night is usually when the body is more into a repair state.
- Apply a moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated and also lock in the products you applied. If you have dry skin, you can apply a cream morning and night. Otherwise, apply a lightweight lotion with SPF 30 or higher in the morning, and a thicker night cream at night.
- You should apply a retinoid (retinol) to reduce breakouts, fine lines, and dark spots. You should apply retinol at night because during the day under the sun it breaks down.
- You can apply a face oil after you have applied all other skin products.
- You should apply sunscreen as the last step, this is the most important step in your skin routine because it protects the skin from UV rays, aging skin signs, and help prevent skin cancers. And always wait at least 20 minutes after applying sunscreen before stepping outside. An ideal recommendation is a broad spectrum SPF. The Right Order To Apply Skin Care Products.
In this article, we are primarily focusing on one of the most important skin care guide, facial skincare products, which are called facial cleaners:
These are various detergent products that are made to clean our faces. They are manufactured in different forms and can sometimes contain various flavors for some amazing smells.
Despite the fact that you can find them in a lot of different flavors, their key objective remains the same and that is to reduce facial breakouts, thereby making you shine.
Some facial cleansers are even enriched with different nutrients to keep your skin hydrated and healthy after every wash.
As such, facial cleansers have proven to be the most important part of your skin care routine. Throughout the day, the human skin accumulates a lot of dirt as well as oils. The amount of dirt or oil accumulated even doubles when you spend a lot of your time outdoors.
Most of the oils that we are talking about here are the ones that are naturally produced by your face to keep it hydrated and warm, of course.
Our skin is very soft and delicate, hence making the accumulation of dirt very easily. The dirt or smoke (and many times, the makeup that we use) can leave residue on the face that will eventually clog pores.
Once the dirt gets into contact with the natural facial oils, it can lead to a lot of irritations which are then associated with other skin problems. A good example of the skin problems that arise in this way is no other than “acne”.
People who have experienced (or are experiencing) breakouts know exactly how tough acne can be on the skin. In most cases, the spots can even stay on your face even a year after the breakouts have passed.
Getting back to the topic at hand, when you cleanse your skin, you can feel the changes almost immediately.
Related: Skin Care Routine For Oily Acne Skin
A lot of people that have used facial cleansers (including myself) said that the skin feels smoother and cleaner. This is because the excess oils and the dirt have been removed on your face, but this is if you use the cleanser that is suitable for your skin type.
What do facial cleansers do?
I don’t expect you to go to the store and pick up a facial cleanser without knowing what it really does. Another way of asking these questions could be in this way “Just how important are facial cleansers?” Well, allow me to give you an answer.
Generally, they help to remove the unwanted particles and substances that accumulated on the surface of your face.
Facial cleansers contain surfactants. These surfactants can be found in a lot of other products like hair shampoos, soaps, and basically products that are used for cleansing.
They were designed in such a way that when you apply the facial cleanser to your skin, it attracts the oils as well as all the dirt or debris that might have accumulated over time, pulling everything from the pores to the surface, making it easy for you to remove them by rinsing with water afterward.
A good example of the most commonly used surfactant, which is also a common ingredient in facial cleansers, is Sulphates. Because they are strong chemicals, they can strip the skin of its natural oils, which can lead to rather dry skin.
Once the skin is dry like that, it is very prone to breakouts, this is why most people say that their acne started after using a facial cleanser.
As such, you should make sure that you rehydrate the skin immediately after drying it up in that way.
You can opt for a cleansing oil. It is just as effective as the wash-off cleanser. The cleaning oil can be a great way to renew the skin as well as prevent any signs of premature aging (I am talking about wrinkles, of course).
Besides that, the cleansing oil can be used to help with other skin issues as well, it is your very own skin doctor.
Many people choose this type of facial cleanser because it restores the skin’s natural moisture, unlike others that leave the skin dry when you wash it.
Either way, you choose, you will have similar results, your face will be free of dirt or debris, making you less prone to acne.
How to use a facial cleanser (the routine)
Now that we have the right product, it is just as important to know how best to use it in order to obtain all the benefits from that product.
While it may sound difficult, it is very easy once you get into it and you will always be looking forward to the next cleanse.
Let me take you through the 9 steps that you need to know and master:
As the very first step, make sure that your hands are clean. For this, you can use soap or hand sanitizer. Either way, you don’t want your dirty hands to create more dirt on your face when you are cleansing. It’s just much easier to clean your hands first.
Now that your hand is clean, splash some water on your face. You don’t want to get your face too wet as the facial cleanser won’t stay. Just splash enough water to make your face wet.
Take the facial cleanser and apply a small amount on your fingertips. If you don’t want to use your fingertips, you can also use a soft washcloth, as long as it is made of cotton.
You can then apply the facial cleanser onto your face. Apply and gently massage your face in a circular motion to make sure that the cleanser is spread all across your face. I recommend that you start from your forehead and work your way down, concentrating on areas that attract more dirt like the nose.
Once you finish massaging your face, leave the cleanser on your face for a few minutes to allow it to penetrate
Rinse your face with water. I recommend using warm water
Because your pores are open, you should splash cold water in order to close them up. This helps to improve the circulation of blood.
Dry your face using a towel, preferably the one that you only use on your face.
Once you feel like your face is finally dry, I suggest that you apply toner or a moisturizer almost immediately, giving no room for complete dryness of the skin.
Those are the steps that you should always follow. In a short time, I guarantee that you will be doing it often. As of the number of times you are required to do it, it should be only 2 times a day; once in the morning when you wake up and once in the evening just before you hit the sack.
10 Best drugstore facial cleansers
It wouldn’t be enough to give you the facial cleansing routine without actually giving you the list of products that I recommend for you.
So here are the top 10 facial cleansers that I recommend you try out today:
1. Eucerin Sensitive Skin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser.
Eucerin Sensitive Skin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser, 8 Ounce (Pack of 4)
- Gentle, non-irritating way of cleansing sensitive facial skin
- Creates a moisture-rich lather that leaves skin feeling soft and clean
- Rinses away easily, leaving your skin refreshed and free of soapy residue
- Soap-free, fragrance-free, and non-comedogenic (won't clog pores)
- Keeps your skin clean and healthy
2. Simple Cleansing Micellar Water.
Simple Micellar Cleansing Water, 6.7 Ounce (3 Pack)
- Simple Micellar Cleansing Water is our most advanced facial cleanser to date, yet it is gentle on even the most sensitive skin
- A complete and thorough skin cleanser, Simple Micellar Cleansing Water cleans the skin of dirt and impurities and unclogs pores - it is also formulated for makeup removal
- Simple Micellar Cleansing Water instantly boosts skin's hydration by 90%
3. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser - 33.80 Ounce
- As gentle as it gets — soothes and cleanses, leaving skin smooth and soft
- Mild, soap-free formula cleanses without irritation — it won’t strip skin of its natural protective oils or emollients
- Moisturizes without leaving residue that can clog pores.
- This gentle, soap-free cleanser was originally formulated for dermatologists, specifically for everyday cleansing of even the most sensitive skin.
- Soothing, non-irritating cleanser ideal for face, hands and body.
4. Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar.
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar, Oil Free - 6 oz, Pack of 4
- For gentle cleansing - This mild, effective lathering bar removes dirt and oil without over-drying.
5. Lierac Paris Demaquillant confort Cream Cleansing Milk.
Cleansing Milk - A Milky, Hydrating Face Cleanser - Makeup Remover Cleansing Milk For Face- Moisturizing Facial Milk Cleanser Face Wash 6.76 fl oz by Petite Maison
|Is Adult Product|
6. Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser and Makeup Remover.
This product removes dirt as well as make up residue in just one wash. As such, it is said to be a “double washing” cleanser.
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser & Makeup Remover with Glycerin, Oil-, Soap- & Alcohol-Free Daily Face Wash Removes Dirt, Oil & Waterproof Makeup, Non-Comedogenic, 9.6 fl. oz
$6.27 in stock
- Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser, plus makeup remover, washes away dirt, oil and makeup in one easy step for refreshingly clean skin
- All-in-one makeup remover and facial cleanser creates a foamy lather that cleanses without over-drying skin and helps remove even waterproof makeup
- Safe for sensitive eyes, this gentle face wash won't irritate or sting the sensitive eye area and is non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores
- Facial foaming cleanser with glycerin is dermatologist-tested and features a formula that is hypoallergenic and oil-, soap- and alcohol-free
- From a dermatologist-recommended skincare brand, this daily cleanser rinses completely clean with no pore-clogging residue left behind
7. Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Oil with Coconut and Argan Oil.
The name of this product truly speaks for itself. It contains coconut oil as well as Argan oil, to provide the best nutrition your hair will ever need.
Burt's Bees Cleansing Oil with Coconut & Argan Cleanser, 6 Ounce
- FACE WASH: With Burt's Bees natural facial cleansing oil, those with normal to dry skin can embrace the natural hydrating power of a cleansing oil for healthy-looking, luxurious skin without an oily residue; package may vary
- HYDRATING OIL: Formulated with a unique blend of coconut and argan oil, Burt's Bees facial cleansing oil provides instant hydration leaving the surface soft & smooth
- FACIAL CLEANSER: From normal to dry skin, Burt's Bees facial cleansing oil gently dissolves dirt and makeup without stripping your skin’s naturally protective moisture barriers
- NATURAL FACE CARE: Formulated without parabens, phthalates, petrolatum or SLS, Burt's Bees 100% natural origin facial cleanser oil cleanses skin for a healthy-looking, smooth complexion
- DERMATOLOGIST TESTED: Burt's Bees natural origin facial cleansing oil is dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested to gently cleanse skin and is also safe for contact lens wearers
8. Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening facial Cleanser.
Not only is this product oil-free, the Aveeno cleanser is also hypoallergenic as well.
Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, Non-Comedogenic, Oil-Free, Soap-Free & Hypoallergenic, 6.7 fl. oz (Pack of 3)
- 6.7-fluid ounce bottle of Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening facial cleanser to reveal brighter, more radiant skin
- Brightening facial cleanser lifts away dirt, oil and makeup leaving your skin looking luminous
- Gentle face wash containing moisture-rich soy extract to visibly transform dull, uneven skin into brighter, more radiant skin
- Brightening cleanser helps improve skin tone, texture and clarity to enhance your natural radiance
- This facial cleanser is non-comedogenic, oil-free, soap-free, hypoallergenic and gentle enough for everyday use and sensitive skin
9. Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil removing Foam Wash.
Although I have never tried this product before, a lot of users have stated that it leaves the skin feeling balanced as well as moisturized.
Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil Removing Foam Wash 8 oz - Packaging May Vary
- Clinically proven to effectively remove oil impurities and makeup
- Contains licorice root extract and zinc technology to soothe irritated skin
- Specifically designed for people with acne-prone skin
- Reduces oil and shine
- Paraben free,masking fragrance , and won't clog pores
10. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser.
Renowned for being the best product for oily skin, the CeraVe cleanser contains ceramides, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid which makes it a great barrier to repair and soften the skin.
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser | 12 Fl. Oz | Daily Face Wash for Oily Skin | Fragrance Free
- [ ALL OVER CLEANSING ] Suitable for use on the face, body, even hands
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Unique formula with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that cleanses and removes oil without disrupting the skincare barrier or leaving the skin feeling stripped of natural moisture
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture and niacinamide to help calm skin
- [ FOAMY LATHER ] Foaming action gently refreshes
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Fragrance free, non-comedogenic, non-drying and non-irritating. This refreshing gel effectively removes excess oil, dirt, and makeup
How I Selected the Cleansers
As we have said many times in this article, it is best to find the product that will be right for your skin type. So how have I selected the products on this list?
Over the Counter
It is always best to buy products like these over the counter in drugstores. This is because products that are sold there generally have a higher quality and also at drugstores, you have people that can recommend the product to you based on your skin type. They can provide all the information you need.
Related: 10 Best Face Products for Dry Skin
On the ingredients, I suggest that you should stay away from all the products that contain detergents like sulfates. Such chemicals can harm your skin if used repeatedly.
The Bottom Line
- Make it your top priority to first find out your skin type before you attempt to purchase any product. It will help you understand your skin better and how you can take care of it.
- Be cautious about the ingredients contained in products.
- Always ask for recommendations at your drug store. They will likely give you the right product.