Choosing the right foundations for dark skin tone is a daunting task when looking at the multitude of beauty products before you. A typical experience shopping for foundation may include browsing online or visiting the local cosmetic department at the store and being overwhelmed by every type of shade and concealer available.
Read Related: Top 10 Toxic Skincare Ingredients Damaging Your Skin
The Top Foundations for Dark Complexions
You may pick a shade you believe will best complement your skin tone only to find that your face and body are two completely different colors once full coverage is achieved. To avoid these terrible beauty blunders, you need to know which foundations glide easily, offer lasting cover, and will best suit your skin tone.
With tips to choose the best foundations for dark skin tone, you can find brands that will offer coverage for those flaws and produce perfection.
Today, premium products are available offering exceptional longevity and smart color-matching technology. The latest ranges incorporate long-wear technology and have been developed for dry to oily complexions.
With a few tips on the Best Foundations for Dark Skin Tone, you can select the skincare products that best suit your natural complexion while minimizing the occurrence of breakouts and problem skin. Want to know the right order to use skin care products? Check out The Right Order To Apply Skin Care Products.
Find Your Undertone
The foundation you choose must match your undertone. This is the color of your skin just under your wrists. If your veins show through very blue, it is a cooler tone while more green to yellow shades is indicative of a warmer tone. Cooler undertones are best complemented by foundations with a bluer to cool shade while warmer tones are enhanced with yellow and golden foundations.
A wide range of foundations is available from some of the top cosmetic brands in the industry. While they may look the same these foundations do not provide the same type of coverage and lasting results. We look at the foundation products considered to be the most impressive with smooth applications, seamless results, and a beautiful finish for dark complexions.
Best Foundations For Dark Skin Tone
Best Eyeshadow Palettes For Dark Skin Tone
Beginners Make Up Tips For Dark Skin Tone
Below are my complete reviews of the best foundations for dark skin tone, tried and approved by me and other makeup artists.
1. Academie aromatherapie hydro-matifying fluid Foundation
The Academie range has received increased attention since its initial release. The line is simple yet sophisticated offering users incredible aesthetic results.
The line of shades for the darker skin tone also makes it easier to find a compatible shade. The Academie foundation has a wonderful liquid formulation making it easy to apply. You do not need a lot of product to achieve full coverage.
It is among the only foundation brands incorporating shades at the darkest end of the color spectrum. With the variety of products available, you can be sure to find a range that best complements your skin tone and produces incredible results.
Academie Academie aromatherapie hydro-matifying fluid - for combination skin, 1.7oz, 1.7 Ounce
- An aroma-therapeutic mattifying fluid for combination skin
- Highly concentrated with 10% active ingredients
- Contains Lavender essential oil and Eucalyptus extract to purify the epidermis
2. BareMinerals Liquid Performance Foundation
The BareMinerals range is full coverage and has a 24hr wear. The consistency and colors are favorable. It is easy to apply and includes mineralization to better absorb.
It helps conceal minor dark spots and blemishes with ease. The mineral lock technology supports longer-lasting wear and ensures the product remains properly applied to the complexion.
It is a great choice for combination to oily complexions as it is non-comedogenic and prevents pore blockage. It includes an SPF to protect your skin against the harsh UV light.
BareMinerals bareSkin Liquid Foundation and Pure Brightening Serum, SPF 20, Bare Shell 02, 1 Fl Oz
- A breakthrough tone-correcting mineral foundation and skin care serum in one
- This ultrathin, skin-perfecting fluid provides seamless adjustable coverage, a natural finish, and the look and feel of beautiful skin
- It improves skin texture and give supple skin
3. The Bobbi Brown Liquid Foundation
This liquid, full coverage formulation is available in 30 shades with a multi-faceted effect aiming to minimize the appearance of redness, discoloration, pores, and dull complexion. It is weightless and gives a natural and matte finish. It can last up to 16 hours and is sweat, humidity, and waterproof. It is a fantastic option for oily skin and that is why it’s among the Best Foundations for Dark Skin Tone.
Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 - Warm Beige (3.5) - 1 fl oz/30 ml
- Full Cover
- Oil-Free Shine Control
4. Maybelline Matte and Poreless Foundation
If you are looking for a cost-effective foundation that includes a quality application then the Maybelline range is the ideal choice. It is a great oil-free foundation that has a mattifying effect so you do not have to worry about those dreaded oil patches forming through the day. It offers the ideal shades for black skin and includes impressive longevity for day wear.
Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte & Poreless Foundation 360 Mocha 30ml
- Liquid Foundation for Normal Skin to Oily Skin
- Completely matte finish
- Leaves you looking poreless with blurring micro-powders which also absorb any oils.
- Matches to your individual skin tone and texture.
- Natural, seamless finish.
5. Lancóme Teint Idole Ultra Wear
From a well-known brand and more on the pricey end of the scale, this ultra wear technology offers a thicker consistency to help cover blemishes and general imperfections. Although it offers the ideal concealer solution, it may need a touch of blusher to improve the finish. Be sure to choose a complementary shade to avoid appearing dull and dreary.
Teint Idole Ultra 24h Makeup All Skin Types #420 Bisque (N) 1oz
$47.00 in stock
|Is Adult Product|
Toxic Skincare Ingredients Damaging Your Skin
Skin Care Routine For Oily Acne Skin
Best Drugstore Primers
6. MAC Pro Longwear Foundation
MAC is long known for its valuable products and the foundation certainly does not disappoint. Catering to black skin, the MAC Pro Longwear foundation provides an incredible 16 hours of wear and glides onto your skin.
The best foundations for dark skin tone will include various shades and MAC has decided to release 8 variants for darker complexions. You will find the foundation does not clog your pores and with its all-day cover, it does not produce a high shine or fade. We certainly recommend MAC if you are looking for a valuable and effective foundation.
MAC Pro Longwear Foundation -NW20-
$47.00 in stock
- Long wearing foundation
- Up to 15 hours of wear in any environmental condition
- Lightweight and creamy
- Gives a smoother, more flawless, natural finish
7. Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint
For a shimmery complexion, consider the mild Nars Velvet matte skin Tint. It is not a thick formulation but offers an appealing blend that includes a mild tint. This is a great addition to your make up kit if you do not require a heavy foundation or wish to conceal dark marks or blemishes.
NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint SPF30 ALASKA 1.7oz
- Velvet Matte Skin Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen
- Color - ALASKA (Light 2 - For light skin with golden undertones)
- Full Size 50 mL / 1.7 Oz.
- Factory Sealed. Brand New In Retail Box. UPC: 607845065036
Tips for Extending Your Foundation
Before applying a foundation, ensure that your skin is well primed with exfoliation, cleansing, and toning. Always apply a moisturizer with an SPF to protect against the adverse effects caused by the rays of the sun. It is a good idea to invest in a primer. It will help maintain the wear of the foundation or use a setting powder. Check out 10 REMEDIES FOR SUNBURN.
With the variety of products available, it is important to determine which shades will best suit your complexion. You want to achieve optimum coverage with a natural appeal. With these few lists of foundations for dark skin tone, you can achieve a beautiful and enhanced skin tone that is smooth and radiant.
- The Top Foundations for Dark Complexions
- Find Your Undertone
- 1. Academie aromatherapie hydro-matifying fluid Foundation
- Academie Academie aromatherapie hydro-matifying fluid - for combination skin, 1.7oz, 1.7 Ounce
- 2. BareMinerals Liquid Performance Foundation
- BareMinerals bareSkin Liquid Foundation and Pure Brightening Serum, SPF 20, Bare Shell 02, 1 Fl Oz
- 3. The Bobbi Brown Liquid Foundation
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 - Warm Beige (3.5) - 1 fl oz/30 ml
- 4. Maybelline Matte and Poreless Foundation
- Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte & Poreless Foundation 360 Mocha 30ml
- 5. Lancóme Teint Idole Ultra Wear
- Teint Idole Ultra 24h Makeup All Skin Types #420 Bisque (N) 1oz
- 6. MAC Pro Longwear Foundation
- MAC Pro Longwear Foundation -NW20-
- 7. Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint
- NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint SPF30 ALASKA 1.7oz
- Tips for Extending Your Foundation