What is benzoyl peroxide?
Benzoyl peroxide is an industrial chemical used as a medication to treat mild and moderate acne and can also be used to treat other severe conditions. Benzoyl peroxide can also be mixed with antibiotics like clindamycin.
What does benzoyl peroxide do to your face?
Benzoyl peroxide is used to treat acne, and the way it works is; when it is applied to skin, it reduces the amount of bacteria which causes acne by drying and peeling off the skin. It is adviced to always apply a tiny amount of any product you want to apply to skin first time in a small area to test for any allergies. Due to changes in the ingredients of so many products by the manufacturer, it is best to try it everytime you buy on small areas first.
To use benzoyl peroxide, apply it to the acne affected areas.
- If you are using benzoyl peroxide product as a cleanser, you should wet the area then apply the cleanser gently, rub it for about 20 seconds then rinse well and pat dry.
- If you are using benzoyl peroxide product for any of this:
- As a shaving cream wet the area to be shaved, apply a small amount and shave.
- As a cream, foam, lotion, or gel, wash the affected area with a cleanser and apply it usually once or twice a day and pat dry.
- As a medicated pads or sponges, wash the area with a mild cleanser, pat dry, then apply medication once or twice a day.
Is benzoyl peroxide bad for skin?
No, Benzoyl peroxide is the best treatment for mild acne, but it does come with some side effects.
Benzoyl peroxide side effects
Even though this medication has no severe allergic reactions, some may occur. In such cases, you may notice some serious symptoms like:
- Swelling of face, tongue, and throat
- Severe dizziness
- Breathing problems
Is benzoyl peroxide dangerous?
Yes, but in rare cases, people with sensitive skin tend to complain of side effects a lot. Bacterias are not known to be resistant to benzoyl peroxide, which makes it an ideal treatment for some skin conditions. Benzoyl peroxide has featured in so many health and beauty products, unlike its good works, comes bad side. The FDA issued a warning of severe allergy symptoms such associated with using products containing benzoyl peroxides such as throat tightness, shortage of breath, wheezing, very low blood pressure, hives, fainting and collapse.
Most of these symptoms occurred just minutes to 24 hours after the first use, most people with the conditions needed a hospital but no one has been reported dead.
What bacteria does benzoyl peroxide kill?
It kills bacteria which causes acne by drying the affected skin and peeling off. The bacteria which causes acne is a tiny microbe called Propionibacterium acne which lives in the skin, especially oily regions. It causes red bumps to appear on skin “acne” by aggravating an immune response.
How long does benzoyl peroxide take to work?
For benzoyl peroxide to work as effective, it depends on the dosage, medical condition, and therapy response. When benzoyl peroxide medication is used to treat acne, improvement starts to show usually after 3 weeks or 8 to 12 weeks. Most of the common problems associated with benzoyl peroxide are the abuse of the medication or excessive use for fast result.
Do you have to wash off benzoyl peroxide?
Yes, but this depends on what benzoyl peroxide product you are using. For creams and lotions, you only apply a very small amount to the area then allow it to do its job. For benzoyl cleansers, hair conditioners, allow a minute before rinsing off, and pat dries the area using towels. Use mild cleansers, not soap, wash hands before and after.
Can you put moisturizer over benzoyl peroxide?
If you are using benzoyl peroxide for the first time, you have to know that benzoyl works by drying out the area where it is applied which is one of benzoyl side effects. The drying caused by benzoyl peroxide can be extreme which can cause the skin to burn, peel or flake. Using an oil-free and non-comedogenic moisturizer every day is the best way to avoid getting dry skin. Apply it moisturizer right after cleansing, before you apply benzoyl peroxide.
Can benzoyl peroxide lighten skin?
If benzoyl peroxide comes in contact with clothes, sheets, pillowcases, and towel, Yes it can bleach it when you are using BP for a while, the area can turn white or very red. This is why you should start by using benzoyl peroxide that contains only about 2.5 BP. Anything higher can cause your skin to react and can make acne worse.
Can I apply benzoyl peroxide overnight?
By now you should know that benzoyl peroxide dries out the skin, peel skin off and cause the skin to flake, applying BP overnight is not advisable, you should rinse it off with a cleanser before going to bed. The best advice is to follow manufacturers advice on how to use the product, don’t just take my word for it, please. Leaving BP on all night can bleach your sheets.
Benzoyl peroxide vs Salicylic acid
- Salicylic acid removes dead skin cells that are clogging pores, while Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria causing acne.
- Salicylic acid takes weeks to produce results, while benzoyl peroxide starts to deliver results in days.
- You can use salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide same time, one to dry out the other to kill or use the salicylic acid product one night and benzoyl peroxide product the other night.
- Salicylic acid works well on hormonal acne and whiteheads, while benzoyl peroxide works well with mild acne.
Benzoyl peroxide gel
Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Spot Treatment Gel with Maximum Strength Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Medicine, Pimple Cream for Acne Prone Skin with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, 1 oz
- A 1-ounce tube of Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Spot Treatment Gel with maximum-strength 10% benzoyl peroxide acne medication to help fight acne and prevent breakouts for clearer looking skin
- This effective acne-fighting spot gel is clinically proven to rapidly reduce the size and redness of stubborn acne in just 2 hours and actively fights breakouts, for continuous improvement in skin's appearance throughout the day
- Its maximum strength formula contains 10% benzoyl peroxide Benzoyl peroxide is the acne medication dermatologists recommend most for clearer skin without a prescription.
- From the No.1 dermatologist-recommended skincare brand, this maximum-strength stubborn acne treatment is specially formulated for acne-prone skin to help manage acne and clear breakouts.
- Cleanse skin thoroughly before applying pimple spot treatment, then proceed to cover the affected area with a thin layer of acne gel 1 to 3 times daily. Consider this if you've liked treatments from Proactiv, Clearasil and Differin.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Dermatological Acne Treatment 3-Step System with Medicated Gel Cleanser, Clarifying Solution and Effaclar Duo, 2-Month Supply
- Reduces upto 60 percent of acne in 10 days
- Visible results starting after 3 days
- Oil free formula that targets the major causes of acne as observed by dermatologists
- Formulated with Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO)
- Contains: Acne wash/acne cleanser, acne facial toner, acne spot treatment cream
Amazon Brand - Solimo Daily Acne Control Cleanser, Maximum Strength 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Medication, 5 Ounce
- One 5-ounce tube of Solimo Daily Acne Control Cleanser
- Maximum strength 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to help treat acne. Not recommended for very sensitive skin, or for those sensitive to benzoyl peroxide.
- If you like Clean & Clear Acne Control Cleanser, we invite you to try Solimo Daily Acne Control Cleanser
- Not tested on animals. Made in the U.S.A. with U.S. and foreign components.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We're proud of our products. If you aren't satisfied, we'll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0385
Oxy Acne Medication Face Wash - Maximum Action with Maximum Strength 10% Benzoyl Peroxide (6.5 Fl Oz)
- Oxy Face wash is specifically formulated to attack your acne with maximum strength 10% Benzoyl peroxide – the #1 ingredient recommended by dermatologists for treating acne. Its fresh, creamy wash formula is designed to kill acne-causing bacteria while it cleanses and soothes, leaving skin soft and healthy looking.
- With 10% Benzoyl peroxide - the maximum level allowed by the FDA for over-the-counter acne treatments. Oxy Face wash with Benzoyl peroxide treats and helps prevent acne while it cleanses away dirt and oil. Its creamy rich lather will leave your skin feeling fresh and clean.
- Oxy Face wash with 10% Benzoyl peroxide is oil-free Excess oil production is a key factor in the development of acne, so it’s a good idea to use products that are oil-free if you have acne-prone skin. Acne typically forms when pores are clogged with dirt and oil, which allows bacteria to grow and unsightly pimples to develop. Even when your skin is clear, continue using Oxy Face wash every day to help keep it that way.
- Use Oxy Face wash with 10% Benzoyl peroxide as part of a daily regimen. Try the Oxy 28 Day challenge and download the free Smart phone app to help you stay on track and fight acne every day. The app provides a Recommended skin care regimen, sends daily reminders, provides coupons and has a progress tracking selfie function to help you see your success
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo Dual Action Acne Treatment Cream with Benzoyl Peroxide, 1.35 Fl. Oz.
$29.99 out of stock
- Micronized Benzoyl Peroxide
- Provides daily Hydration
- Dual action treatment reduces the number and severity of breakouts, improves pore size with minimal irritation
- Fast-absorbing; Elegant texture
- Non-drying; Non-comedogenic; Oil-free; Fragrance free
Obagi CLENZIderm M.D. Pore Therapy Salicylic Acid 2% Acne Treatment, 5 Fl Oz Pack of 2
- Unclogs pores and clears dead skin cells. Leaves a refreshed feel to the skin and prepares it for the next step in the acne treatment regimen.
- Part of the CLENZIderm M.D. product line, which is specifically formulated to help treat acne where it starts.
- Proudly Made In The USA
Acne.org 8 oz. Treatment (2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide)
- Step 2 of The Acne.org Regimen. Our benzoyl peroxide is pharmaceutical grade and triple milled so it penetrates the skin better than many other benzoyl peroxide products. This product contains the optimal 2.5% dose of benzoyl peroxide. Studies show that 2.5% works as well as 10% solutions, without the excessive dryness and irritation.
- Generous 8 ounce size will last for 1-2 months on The Acne.org Regimen.
- Gel based so it goes on smooth, absorbs quickly, does not "clump up," and does not turn white when you perspire.
- Helps the vast majority of people achieve completely clear skin when used with all 3 products of The Acne.org Regimen.
- Formulated by Acne.org founder Dan Kern.
Facial Cleanser by Differin, Acne Face Wash w/ Benzoyl Peroxide, Sensitive Skin Formula, 1 pack, 4oz, Basic (60600)
$10.44 in stock
- Contains 5 percent benzoyl peroxide, which is as effective as 10 percent benzoyl peroxide, but with less irritation & dryness
- Dual action, micronized formula penetrates deep into skin to absorb excess oil, while releasing a gentle moisturizer that won’t clog pores
- Perfect for those seeking a deep, powerful cleanse that won’t strip their skin
- Dermatologist developed formula, great for daily use
Glytone Acne 3P Treatment Gel with Time-Released 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, Hydrating Mattifying Gel, Fragrance-Free, Oil-Free, Non-Comedogenic, 2 oz.
- Patented time- released micronized Benzoyl Peroxide eliminates acne- causing bacteria while minimizing potential irritation
- Innovative hydro- gel formulation continues to fight acne throughout the day while maintaining skin's moisture and fending off dryness
- Non- whitening matte finish
- Unit count: 2.0
Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Spot Treatment Gel with Witch Hazel and Salicylic Acid Acne Medicine for Acne-Prone Skin, 0.5 fl. oz (Pack of 2)
- 0.5-fluid ounce tube of Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Spot Treatment Gel with Witch Hazel made with salicylic acid and witch hazel to visibly reduce breakouts and help prevent acne
- The maximum-strength formula of this acne medicine is designed for acne-prone skin and is clinically proven to reduce pimple size, swelling, and redness in eight hours.
- Our pimple spot treatment contains witch hazel, a natural ingredient known for its skin-soothing properties, as well as 2% salicylic acid acne medicine to penetrate pores and clear blemishes.
- From the #1 dermatologist-recommended brand, this spot treatment gel features powerful Microclear Technology designed to boost delivery of acne medicine which helps clear congested pores deep at the source.
- Works to clear breakouts fast and helps stop new ones from forming, even before they become visible. For best use, cover the entire affected area with a thin layer of spot treatment one to three times daily after cleansing.
- What is benzoyl peroxide?
- What does benzoyl peroxide do to your face?
- Is benzoyl peroxide bad for skin?
- Is benzoyl peroxide dangerous?
- What bacteria does benzoyl peroxide kill?
- How long does benzoyl peroxide take to work?
- Do you have to wash off benzoyl peroxide?
- Can you put moisturizer over benzoyl peroxide?
- Can benzoyl peroxide lighten skin?
- Can I apply benzoyl peroxide overnight?
- Benzoyl peroxide vs Salicylic acid
- Benzoyl peroxide gel