What is benzoyl peroxide?
Benzoyl peroxide is an industrial chemical used as a medication to treat mild and moderate acne and can also be used to treat other severe conditions. Benzoyl peroxide can also be mixed with antibiotics like clindamycin.
What does benzoyl peroxide do to your face?
Benzoyl peroxide is used to treat acne, and the way it works is; when it is applied to skin, it reduces the amount of bacteria which causes acne by drying and peeling off the skin. It is adviced to always apply a tiny amount of any product you want to apply to skin first time in a small area to test for any allergies. Due to changes in the ingredients of so many products by the manufacturer, it is best to try it everytime you buy on small areas first.
To use benzoyl peroxide, apply it to the acne affected areas.
- If you are using benzoyl peroxide product as a cleanser, you should wet the area then apply the cleanser gently, rub it for about 20 seconds then rinse well and pat dry.
- If you are using benzoyl peroxide product for any of this:
- As a shaving cream wet the area to be shaved, apply a small amount and shave.
- As a cream, foam, lotion, or gel, wash the affected area with a cleanser and apply it usually once or twice a day and pat dry.
- As a medicated pads or sponges, wash the area with a mild cleanser, pat dry, then apply medication once or twice a day.
Is benzoyl peroxide bad for skin?
No, Benzoyl peroxide is the best treatment for mild acne, but it does come with some side effects.
Benzoyl peroxide side effects
Even though this medication has no severe allergic reactions, some may occur. In such cases, you may notice some serious symptoms like:
- Swelling of face, tongue, and throat
- Severe dizziness
- Breathing problems
Is benzoyl peroxide dangerous?
Yes, but in rare cases, people with sensitive skin tend to complain of side effects a lot. Bacterias are not known to be resistant to benzoyl peroxide, which makes it an ideal treatment for some skin conditions. Benzoyl peroxide has featured in so many health and beauty products, unlike its good works, comes bad side. The FDA issued a warning of severe allergy symptoms such associated with using products containing benzoyl peroxides such as throat tightness, shortage of breath, wheezing, very low blood pressure, hives, fainting and collapse.
Most of these symptoms occurred just minutes to 24 hours after the first use, most people with the conditions needed a hospital but no one has been reported dead.
What bacteria does benzoyl peroxide kill?
It kills bacteria which causes acne by drying the affected skin and peeling off. The bacteria which causes acne is a tiny microbe called Propionibacterium acne which lives in the skin, especially oily regions. It causes red bumps to appear on skin “acne” by aggravating an immune response.
How long does benzoyl peroxide take to work?
For benzoyl peroxide to work as effective, it depends on the dosage, medical condition, and therapy response. When benzoyl peroxide medication is used to treat acne, improvement starts to show usually after 3 weeks or 8 to 12 weeks. Most of the common problems associated with benzoyl peroxide are the abuse of the medication or excessive use for fast result.
Do you have to wash off benzoyl peroxide?
Yes, but this depends on what benzoyl peroxide product you are using. For creams and lotions, you only apply a very small amount to the area then allow it to do its job. For benzoyl cleansers, hair conditioners, allow a minute before rinsing off, and pat dries the area using towels. Use mild cleansers, not soap, wash hands before and after.
Can you put moisturizer over benzoyl peroxide?
If you are using benzoyl peroxide for the first time, you have to know that benzoyl works by drying out the area where it is applied which is one of benzoyl side effects. The drying caused by benzoyl peroxide can be extreme which can cause the skin to burn, peel or flake. Using an oil-free and non-comedogenic moisturizer every day is the best way to avoid getting dry skin. Apply it moisturizer right after cleansing, before you apply benzoyl peroxide.
Can benzoyl peroxide lighten skin?
If benzoyl peroxide comes in contact with clothes, sheets, pillowcases, and towel, Yes it can bleach it when you are using BP for a while, the area can turn white or very red. This is why you should start by using benzoyl peroxide that contains only about 2.5 BP. Anything higher can cause your skin to react and can make acne worse.
Can I apply benzoyl peroxide overnight?
By now you should know that benzoyl peroxide dries out the skin, peel skin off and cause the skin to flake, applying BP overnight is not advisable, you should rinse it off with a cleanser before going to bed. The best advice is to follow manufacturers advice on how to use the product, don’t just take my word for it, please. Leaving BP on all night can bleach your sheets.
Benzoyl peroxide vs Salicylic acid
- Salicylic acid removes dead skin cells that are clogging pores, while Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria causing acne.
- Salicylic acid takes weeks to produce results, while benzoyl peroxide starts to deliver results in days.
- You can use salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide same time, one to dry out the other to kill or use the salicylic acid product one night and benzoyl peroxide product the other night.
- Salicylic acid works well on hormonal acne and whiteheads, while benzoyl peroxide works well with mild acne.
Benzoyl peroxide gel
- What is benzoyl peroxide?
- What does benzoyl peroxide do to your face?
- Is benzoyl peroxide bad for skin?
- Is benzoyl peroxide dangerous?
- What bacteria does benzoyl peroxide kill?
- How long does benzoyl peroxide take to work?
- Do you have to wash off benzoyl peroxide?
- Can you put moisturizer over benzoyl peroxide?
- Can benzoyl peroxide lighten skin?
- Can I apply benzoyl peroxide overnight?
- Benzoyl peroxide vs Salicylic acid
- Benzoyl peroxide gel