- The Benefits of Getting Your Beauty Sleep
- How Sleep Affects the Skin
- What is Beauty Sleep?
- 1. Go to Sleep Earlier
- 2. Learn How to Wind Down
- 3. Hormonal Balance
- 4. Sleeping Well Facilitates Weight Loss
- 5. Mood Stability
- 6. Decrease Swelling and Water Retention
- 7. Incorporate a Nightly Skincare Regime
- 8. Invest in a Good Night’s Rest
The Benefits of Getting Your Beauty Sleep
There are very good reasons why virtually every article on beauty sleep supports the notion of 8 hours of proper rest.
Not only is sleep essential to keep your body energized and functional but it helps cells recover and improves immune system strength.
Your skin also relies on beauty sleep and without it, you could suffer some serious problems.
From swelling and inflammation to dark puffy eyes and a dry or overly oily complexion, a multitude of issues are related to an activity as simple as sleeping.
We take a closer look at the top benefits of getting your beauty sleep.
How Sleep Affects the Skin
- Poor sleep will lower your blood pressure, causing puffiness around the eyes and reduced circulation.
- Cortisol is a stress hormone that is released when your body lacks rest.
- Cortisol will increase the formation of wrinkles as it decreases collagen production.
- You will lose the beautiful plumpness in your skin and develop more of a withdrawn, sallow complexion.
- Sleep remains an important part of maintaining a youthful appeal. Getting enough sleep not only contributes to a well-functioning body but it is also vital for the healthy condition of your skin.
- If you are experiencing dermal imbalances from excessive oil to dry patches, it is best to stay hydrated, apply the proper skin maintenance products and get your much-needed beauty sleep.
What is Beauty Sleep?
Beauty sleep is the deep sleep you experience when resting. It is the 8 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep you need for your cells to recover, replenish and rejuvenate. It leaves you feeling and looking fresh and relaxed upon waking.
A lack of sufficient sleep, particularly over a period of time can cause dark eye circles to form. It increases inflammation and can leave skin looking dull and dry.
Catching up on your sleep can certainly have a beautifying effect and here’s how to make the most of it:
1. Go to Sleep Earlier
If you wake up early in the morning, be sure to plan your bedtime accordingly. While 7 hours of sleep should work, always aim for 8 hours without constant interruptions. You need to experience a deep REM sleep in which your body recovers from the activities of the day.
2. Learn How to Wind Down
If you have trouble falling asleep, there are steps you can take to ensure you receive your beauty sleep. Active days and restlessness in the evening are common complaints. To get to sleep on time, you need to tell your body it is time to wind down.
- A relaxing bubble bath with a soothing dim light is a great way to relax and rejuvenate.
- Turn the television, PC screen, and mobile off before bed to avoid being stimulated by the light and images.
- Keep your room dark and invest in some block out window trim to avoid street light creeping in.
- Incorporate a healthy diet, low in sugars and high in protein to keep you satiated and without craving food late into the night.
- Incorporate natural remedies and soothing herbal solutions to support a restful and peaceful state including aromas such as lavender.
- Speak to a doctor if you suffer from ongoing insomnia.
3. Hormonal Balance
Sleeping soundly and getting those important beauty hours in will release naturally healing hormones. It is during the deepest phase of sleep that your body and your skin can heal. Growth hormone is released during REM sleep. Growth hormone assists in repairing minor cell damage including the damages caused by sun exposure, pollution and the production of new cells to keep your complexion looking and feeling great. This is the reason you wake up feeling ready to take on the world after a good night’s rest.
4. Sleeping Well Facilitates Weight Loss
The deeper and longer you sleep, the better it is for managing effective weight loss. When you do not sleep enough, the hormones in your body will cause cravings which leads to unhealthy snacking. Studies have revealed that people trying to lose weight experience successful weight loss results faster when remaining well-rested.
5. Mood Stability
Ever feel just miserable when looking out your window in the morning? You are not alone. A late night out; work or improper sleep, can all contribute to a moody and foul start to the day. The major benefit of getting your beauty sleep is the mood stabilizing effects it has on your mind and body. Sufficient sleep states can minimize depression and help you don a genuine smile. Research has shown that a large percentage of people suffering from insomnia are at increased risk of developing depression. Keep your mood up and feel good ensuring you invest in your beauty sleep.
6. Decrease Swelling and Water Retention
Resting can help your body regulate the water that is retained in your body. This prevents the formation of those dreaded under eye bags and feeling bloated first thing in the morning. Allowing swelling and water retention increases the formation of wrinkles on your delicate facial areas.
7. Incorporate a Nightly Skincare Regime
With most healing and replenishing of the skin cells taking place at night, we suggest using a nourishing and firming night cream. Human growth hormone is crucial to maintaining a youthful appeal and is released while sleeping. You can accelerate the process by applying serums and anti-aging solutions.
- Start by cleansing with a compatible product. Always choose the solutions that work with your skin type.
- Use a toner that does not contain alcohol and is not harsh on your skin.
- Apply your serums, anti-aging moisturizers, and eye creams. It is important to start a skincare regime as early as your 20s but really focus on the application of wrinkle and fine line prevention products in your 30s and continue with age-appropriate products.
8. Invest in a Good Night’s Rest
Sleeping soundly for 8 to 9 hours is not only beneficial for your general physical health but also your skin. Prepare a bedtime routine to support a restful state and ensure that you receive the maximum benefits of getting your beauty sleep. This will prevent wrinkle formation, support a smooth, plump complexion and help you maintain a beautiful youthful glow naturally.
[thrive_posts_gallery category=’4′ title=”OTHER RELATED POST” no_posts=”10" filter=”recent”]